Thursday, May 2, 2013

Yellow Rice Vermicelli with Turkey Sausage and Veggies

Couple of months ago I bought a small pack of rice vermicelli from a Chinese Supermarket.  I boiled it and gave it to my kids. Both of my kids refused to even look at it.  I put the packet of pasta away and forgot all about it.  The other day, I was cleaning out my cabinets and came across an almost untouched pack of vermicelli and decided to experiment with it to see if I can make this bland pasta a little more interesting.  First, I made the white pasta a bright yellow color with sprinkling turmeric into the water and then added flavor by sautéing some onion with turkey kielbasa.  To add some contrasting texture and more color I grated fresh carrots and zucchini.  The result exceeded all my expectations. It was so fresh and flavorful that I couldn't stop eating it myself.  The best part is that the pasta stays moist and doesn't stick together.  I had it the following day for lunch and it was as good as it was the previous night.


Ingredients:
1 small pack of rice vermicelli
1 medium onion diced
1 cup of cubed turkey kielbasa or turkey bacon
1 medium carrot coarsely grated
1/2 medium zucchini coarsely grated
1 teaspoon of turmeric
salt to taste

1.  Put the rice vermicelli into a pot or a bowl
2.  Cover the vermicelli with boiling water
3.  Add salt to taste and mix in turmeric 
4.  Cover the pot for at least 5 minutes.
5.  Sautée onion until translucent and then add cubed sausage and cook for 3-5 minutes.
6.  Drain pasta, cut it into smaller chunks with scissors, add sausage mix and fresh grated veggies.
7.  Serve immediately and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment